This morning when I woke up I had the biggest hangover ever… I’m sure you know how it feels like, when you wake up after a night of bar hopping and drinking… indeed, you feel terrible. You get a huge headache and your body feels sore. But I found some great steps you can follow to reduce these hangover symptoms.
1) First, drink some water (obviously). Do not make it too cold and take it slowly or your stomach will rebel and the water will come right back up. Drink as much as you can to begin re-hydrating yourself, alcohol has a drying effect on the human body so you need to rehydrate as soon as possible.
2) Get some caffeine into your system. Caffeine will help the headache, especially if you take it with some over the counter pain reliever. If coffee isn’t your drink then have some cold pop on hand for the morning after. If you do not have to leave your house, make the coffee and put a shot of Bailey’s in it, Irish Creme Coffee cures hangover symptoms.
3) A nice hot shower should do the trick, too. Just let the hot water flow down over you. Have your shower hot enough to create lots of steam. The steam will open your pores and help all the toxins get washed away. Letting the water beat on your neck and shoulders will also help with that nasty headache.
4) If you can stomach it, have a light breakfast that is high in protein and low in fat. Eggs and toast with a little butter would be perfect. Stay away from the milk and other dairy products they will only contribute to the nausea and may cause you to vomit.
Of course there is that, too. some people need to vomit to begin to feel human again but if you are like me and you can’t stand the thought of doing that then take it easy and be sure to follow the all steps above for your hangover relief.
5) To help with the re-hydration you could also get a sports drink, this will help you replenish vital electrolytes that your body needs to function properly. Remember that sports drinks are loaded with sugar to fuel your muscles during and after a strenuous workout so if sugary drinks are not for you then stay away from them.
Each of these tips will help you get rid of your hangover in a timely manner and you should feel better as the day goes on. Which brings me to the last, best thing that cures hangover symptoms, time. Time is the best thing you can give yourself after a night of over-indulgence. Every hour that goes by you will feel better and better. Throw in a nap or just take it easy on the couch and soon you will be back to your old self.