Have you looked into using cellulite creams and lotions? You may have been put off by the cost, or maybe you aren’t comfortable with the ingredients used. You can actually make your own cellulite-fighting creams at home for much less money using healthy ingredients. Here are some recipes to try.
1. Essential Oil Cellulite Cream This good-smelling lotion not only pleases your sense of smell; the essential oils used are reputed to help tighten skin and reduce cellulite’s lumpy appearance.
* 1 cup unscented body lotion
* 1 tablespoon witch hazel (available at drug stores and large retailers in the pharmacy or first aid section)
* 3 to 5 drops each of the following essential oils: juniper, rosemary, cypress and grapefruit First, mix the essential oils with the witch hazel by shaking or swirling. Then add the lotion and stir or shake vigorously.
Use this lotion after you shower and before bedtime, working it into the skin with a circular, massaging motion.
2. Coffee Scrub Caffeine is one of the main ingredients used in a lot of commercial cellulite creams. Using coffee grounds you can apply this caffeine to the skin, and also the abrasive/exfoliant action of the grounds can help increase circulation and skin tone. Here is how to make a coffee scrub for cellulite.
* 1 cup used coffee grounds (some sources say you can use the ground coffee fresh, without making coffee with it first. Presumably, this would have more caffeine but may seem more wasteful)
* 1/4 cup sweet almond oil Mix these two ingredients and apply to wet, warm skin in small circles, massaging well.
You can “wrap” the area with plastic wrap and then a towel, leaving the coffee scrub in place for about ten minutes before rinsing. Make sure you have a strainer over your shower drain so it doesn’t get clogged with coffee grounds!
3. Fruit Cream The presence of acids such as tartaric and citric acid in fruits may help reduce cellulite. This recipe also uses sugar, which can act like an exfoliant to increase circulation and tone up skin.
* 1 tablespoon sweet almond oil
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 1/2 cup pureed fresh strawberries
Apply this cellulite cream as you would the one made from coffee grounds. It could also be used under a cellulite wrap.